W H Y
THE SPEED INCREASER AND
THE ELECTRIC GENERATOR
MUST BE ON
THE ROTATING NACELLE
AND NOT ON
THE STATIONARY TOWER
? ? ?
SYNISON, a Hellenic (Greek) Laboratory has developed TWO INNOVATIVE MECHANISMS:
The first of them, named "EXTREME" for the convenience of this presentation, refers to a mechanism that transmits power with a very high transmission ratio*, via THREE only moving parts, while its patent application has already been published with the publication number: WO/2021/165707 , receiving a good search report.
* transmission ratios of the level of 1:10,000 for speed reduction is a really quite easy situation,
while for speed increasing there is the need of further research and development for structural details,
for transmission ratios much higher than 1:100.
However, the GREAT CHALLENGE is the second Mechanism, named "INDEPENDER" for the convenience of this presentation, as well,
referring to a configuration which transmits endless rotation from a shaft on a stationary frame to a shaft on an endlessly rotating carrier,
or vice versa, independently (KINEMATICALLY and DYNAMICALLY) of the rotation of the carrier.
Its patent application has already obtain an excellent search report and written opinion
and the publication of this application is scheduled to take place at the beginning of 2022.
The "INDEPENDER" has a similar structural concept as the "EXTREME"
and -which is more important- it can be perfectly combined with it, so as to achieve
an INDEPENDENT POWER TRANSMISSION with a VERY HIGH TRANSMISSION RATIO.
So, one can just imagine a wind turbine where there is a purely mechanical mechanism, which -independently of the rotation of the nacelle- transmits power, with a very high transmission ratio, directly from the blade-shaft to a generator-shaft which stands on the stationary tower, on its top or even on its base; and this is a result of using FOUR only additional moving parts between the blade-shaft and the generator-shaft.
The relocation of the gearbox and the electric generator from the rotating nacelle to the stationary tower, even at its top, drastically lowers the cost of construction, installation and maintenance, allowing the approach for inspection and maintenance to the majority of the components of the whole configuration, even without stopping the operation of the wind turbine.
For the power transmission from the top to the base of the tower of the wind turbine, except the classic full-section long marine propeller shaft, today there are also solid but more sophisticated, light and yet strong structures, while the vertical direction of transmission (comparing with the horizontal one in the case of a marine transmission) facilitates the situation.
Beyond the just described application on wind turbines, there are plenty of other applications, while examples for the most significant ones are:
- on the rotating propeller-hub of a helicopter or other propeller-powered craft, on air or water, or even of a wind turbine (see symbolic image above), in order to adjust their propeller or blade pitch, via the most compact and robust way, even with an endless angular travel of the final actuator with everything which this entails,
- on a turret-carrying excavator or a battle tank, in order to transmit endless rotation from the chassis to the turret independently of the rotation of the turret; among the many advantages of having the engine on the chassis and the hydraulic pump on the turret, is the pure mechanical transmission for the movement of the vehicle, per se, in space, instead of the hydraulic transmission currently in use, the unlimited (purely endless) rotation of the turret with respect to the chassis and the lowering of the center of gravity,
- on the steering bracket of a vehicle; and it is obvious what a wild thing is A WHEEL THAT PROPELS AND STEERS at the same time (via robust gears instead of the delicate balls of the current constant-velocity joint) for any vehicle, especially for a 8x8x8 or 6x6x6 military or fire-fighting vehicle with very high ground clearance, or even for a 4x4x2 SUV or super-car or a simple 4x2x2 family or smaller car,
- on the arms of a robot: for example, on the first arm in order to transmit power from the base to the first arm, independently of the rotation of the first arm, on the second arm in order to transmit power from the first arm to the second arm, independently of the rotation of the second arm with respect to the first arm, and so on.
These MECHANISMS are Patent Pending
and until the next phase of their publication this website is under construction;
so, if you want more information, please, write directly to the address:
PROMOTION @ ENGINES . ENGINEER